Friday, September 16, 2011

Bead Soup Reveal!

My very first BSBP- how exciting! Lori Anderson went above and beyond in organizing over 360 of us from around the country and world, into pairs- quite the feat! In my previous post, you can see the wonderful stash of beads that Dana's Jewelry Design sent my way. We both thought alike with the antique brass chain/findings/goodies so it was fun to be able to put them to use. She gifted me with such a variety of things that it made choosing a direction a little bit of a challenge, but such a nice one!

The rules were as follows: You must have a blog (the incentive to get mine going) and you must send your partner a party pack containing a focal, some coordinating beads or spacers, and some kind of a special clasp. You had to use the focal and closure you were sent, and could add to the rest of the pack that from your own stash. Dana sent me greens, blues, browns and creams- such a choice! 


After pondering and changing my mind multiple times, I kept coming back to the magnetic door focal and the greens, and the idea of a garden began to emerge  I loved the variety of greens and yellows. I  also wanted to use some simple chain maille techniques ( something I've been enjoying lately) and to jump out of my little symmetry box. Now, I am NOT a gardener- family, friends and neighbors can attest to that (think black thumb :/) but I do enjoy looking at the results of those who are. One of my favorite books growing up was The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. It was given to me by my Great Aunt Win- my "birthday" aunt, and when I looked at the secret door, inspiration began.

Here is the result:
Started with the lovely little door,wrapped on the pretty green quartz briolette and Swarovskis and added a little love- can't have a garden without it!

Then I did some simple byzantine chain maille on one side with the Chinese jade and bead caps on one side, and used part of the toggle clasp as a design element because I love the flower designs- too pretty to hide at the back. Mix it all together, let it simmer like a good soup should, add a few extras in and it's ready to serve.
I love it! and it's something I'm going to wear a lot. I give away or sell a lot of things that I make, but this one's mine. It represents exploring new things, planting new seeds and a wonderful experience. Dana included more of the briolettes, so I'll be making a pair of matching earrings ( yes, I'm a set kind of person). Thank you again, Dana, for your generosity.

(All through the making of this a song by one of my favorite worship artists kept running through my head. If you've never listened to, or heard of, Jonathan David Helser, do yourself a favor and listen to "The Reward" about what started in the garden.  It's number nine on the media player. He's an amazing, anointed musician who's passionate about sharing the heart and love of God.)

Then I looked at what was left- still so much to choose from, and yesterday morning I remembered a bracelet I had seen at American Eagle a store my daughters shop at, and realized I had the makings for a quick little bracelet. What to see? Here it is.



It just happened to match perfectly with what I was wearing yesterday, and as I love bracelets, it kept me company and made me smile every time I looked at my wrist. The beads are strung on Stretch Magic, so it's easy to get on and off and the chain gives it a different look. Bev from Flamingo Toes is always posting wonderful tutorials on how to do knock offs from famous stores, and I thought of her while doing this.

Don't forget to click on the link and visit Dana's blog to see what she created. Want to see more? Click on Bead Soup link for a full list of all the participants. It's going to take me awhile, but I plan on visiting all as many as I can.

Hoping your day has a splash of grace and a dash of joy!

66 comments:

  1. Love both pieces and it is remarkable how similar our designs are. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely. all of the pieces are so unique

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the pieces. But that garden one is so cute. I can see why you want to keep it. And I love the story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know if my first comment showed up. But I love all the pieces. And the first one is so cute. Can see why you want to keep it. And the story behind it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!! I love the predominance of chain and chain maille with the beads as embellishments and your use of briolettes. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the necklace! I am all about the asymmetry lately, and that door is amazing! Nice job, Christie, and the bracelet is beautiful, too! Dana sent you a ton if beads! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the garden necklace, so sweet. The beads and chain does not distract away from the charming little door. Surely a soup to cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice work! Such a sweet mix ~ Really love the larger chain and accent beads you used.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the necklace and the inspiration behind it! Great job on the bracelet also!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! that little door is so darn cute! I love what you did with it too, this is one of my favorites so far!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am SO sorry for being late -- today our internet provider decided to crash. My stress level is through the roof, to say the least! They're still working on it, but it's like dial-up.

    That charm is adorable! And I love the styling -- delicate and sweet, but full of details! Lovely bracelet as well!

    I hope you'll participate again!

    Love, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous designs, love both of them. I like the inclusion of the byzantine chain maille (one of my faves) in the necklace....it works well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice pieces, pretty and whimsical.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute necklace. Great asymetric design.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful creations! Love that little door pendant!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a sweet, wonderful necklace! I'd keep it too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I admire everybody who manages chain maille. I tried and my finger would need to be about 80% smaller to get it managed. Love your piece. Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pretty bracelet! And I love the necklace too. Nice job with your first Bead Soup!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never done chain mail so kudos to you. Your secret garden is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your secret garden looks like a place I wouldn't mind spending time in. And thank you for the link to Flamingo Toes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your pieces are beautiful! I think I especially adore the necklace - very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your designs are lovely! That door focal is so neat! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. beautiful, love that little door....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful! You have created a terrific piece of wearable art. I like your use of color and texture for the necklace. The little door is enchanting. Thank you for sharing your artistic process along the way. Cheers!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the balance of the bracelet, the beads & the chain together.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I truly love your design. and I love the garden gate.In the old hymn we use to sing "Icome to the garden alone" Lovely
    Be Blessed to be a blessing

    ReplyDelete
  27. Stunning pieces - the necklace with the door pendant is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Both pieces are very nice. I love the little door and your inspiration behind the necklace design. It all came together so well it's truly a lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just like a little fairy garden door! I think you did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What beautiful pieces! I just love your necklace with that adorable little door.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love that necklace. It's like meandering down the garden path and that door. I collect fairy doors that that is what it reminds me of.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a delightfully sweet Secret Garden necklace! The maille is a terrific addition, and I love the combination of yellow and green. The bracelet is very cute - I wouldn't have thought to combine the chain with the stretch magic, but it works. It really works! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the chain maille inclusion...the first I have seen on the hop..it looks so right with the chain and jade..and the little house is adorable..no black thumb here!
    jenni

    ReplyDelete
  34. two very cute creations...I am in love with the necklace with it's gorgeous focal! ;o)

    hugs

    hello gorgeous xxx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love your designs!! I especially like the chain maille! I am learning this new technique and am loving it. I also love your blog and your inspirations!! God bless, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh, that garden door is so awesome! I'm glad you included your creative process, and I love the little charm. That was a great idea for a bracelet, and such fun colors!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow. Two completely different pieces with your soup. How cool is that!

    ReplyDelete
  38. The necklace is so pretty, but the inspiration behind it is wonderful. Everyone should be so lucky to have an aunt who gives them great books that will live in their hearts long past the birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  39. The necklace is really well done. It's the kind of piece I would like to hold and look at up close! There is so much detail and yet, it has a lovely simplicity about it. The bracelet is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Just adorable! I love the little door it reminds me of the secret garden

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh, that little door pendant is just so precious! Great job on both pieces :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wonderful! Love that necklace - the door is just tooo much fun - but everything about it is lovely. And the bracelet - so cool - really like the half chain half beads look!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh I love, love, love your necklace with the little door. Its simplicity enhances its beauty. Wonderfully done!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Sweet and lovely and well served ;) Love the chain maille on the necklace and the bracelet is something I would love to wear myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love the garden door, secret garden also a favorite growing up read. Your necklace is wonderful, leaves you trying to imagine what is behind that door in the garden. Great soup!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh, how sweet. I love that necklace, and the bracelet is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  47. The necklace is lovely. I want to open the little door and go inside!! Nice work on the beaded bracelet, too...it's a "fun to wear" piece that I would grab all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love everything about your necklace. I love your design. Those doors are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  49. What pretty pieces! I love the door focal and how you designed around it, and the bracelet is so lovely too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  50. What a Fun soup mix! I just love how the necklace turned out. Just the right touches! Soup-er-job!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love the miss-matched chains on the necklace! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love the necklace - the door charm is really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  53. The necklace seems so easy to wear. I like it!

    Ambra

    ReplyDelete
  54. Love your secret garden! Isn't it wonderful to have a piece with a story behind it... it will always have that special memory attached to it. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Lovely jewellery! I really like that necklace. It's very pretty, with a balanced design and nice asymmetry. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Really pretty designs. I Like the chain maille that you added in to the necklace. Very whimsical!

    ReplyDelete
  57. This was a really fun soup. The garden necklace is wonderful. Good work.

    ReplyDelete